A Britton's Guide to the Gold Coast

"A Briton's Guide to getting to know the Gold Coast"


In general 

Children in Australia attend school from the age of 5 and have to complete year 10. Once a child has completed year 10 they must engage in at least 25 hours of either (or a combination of) training, education or employment until they attain 17 years.

If you have moved to Australia with very little by way of a support network and have small children it will be imperative (in most cases) that you find some form of child care. In most areas on the Gold Coast these can be very hard to get and so you should make sure you look in to centres well in advance.

You should start putting your child's name on as many waiting lists as you can as more often than not there are many children already on it and your child will be considered in regards to when they were put on the list, what days and the amount of days you are looking to have them cared for. If you are looking at enrolling your child into a pre-school or day care provided (usually) by private schools you may also be considered in regards to whether you have other children enrolled in the school.

If you are a permanent resident you should also contact the Family Assistance Office to find out whether there are any allowances you can claim against your costs of childcare.



Generally, your child will attend primary school until they are 12 or 13 and then secondary school until they are 17 or 18. You have the option of Government or 'State School' which is FREE to attend (in regards to fees) once your child is enrolled and non-Government schools or 'Private Schools' which you will be required to pay the tuition for (but again check if there are any concessions you are entitled to). To find your local schools you can look in the WHITE PAGES. It should also be noted that children are normally only accepted into a school within their catchment area. 

In order to get your child enrolled you will usually require the following documents:

  • Your Child's Birth Certificate;
  • Visa documentation;
  • any school reports or documentation from a previous school;
  • You may also be required to show proof of your child's immunisations


If you are looking to go to university the admission requirements, fees and courses provided will need to be obtained from the University themselves (there are a list of the Gold Coast's major universities in the table below).

If you have qualifications in England (or indeed wherever you are traveling from) and you are looking for recognition or ADVANCED STANDING in Australia make sure you obtain copies of prospectuses or modules guides (or any documentation that details what qualifications you have). I have found from personal experience that the longer you leave it the harder obtaining this material can become as more often than not courses change their content from time to time. 

Try to make sure that any material you get to prove your course structure has the institutions logo/heading on it and any letters and such like are original copies as you will probably have to copy them and they will need to be certified copies (sworn to be a copy of the origional).

Depending on the qualifications you are having assessed, some universities offer an assessment service and you should check with whichever body regulates your particular trade to find out which one(s) to go to.

As a starting point please take a look at the following:

 Institute Contact Details
 Overseas Qualifications Unit


Recognition for Prior Learning and

Credit Transfer 


To check your trade go to the following Government Website Link for information on trade, overseas qualification recognition and more:

 Institute Contact details
Queensland Government Work or Trade Recognition 
Queensland Government Overseas Qualification Recognition 

Once you have had your qualification assessed by the appropriate governing body you may or may not find that you are required to update all or part of the skill you have had assessed. Should this be the case here are a few places you may need to contact in order to complete your assessment:

 Institution Contact Details
Queensland University of Technology (QUT) 

(07) 3138 2000

Kelvin Grove Campus, 2 George Street, Brisbane, 4001 

Southern Cross University 

(07) 5589 3000

Southern Cross Drive, Bilinga, QLD 4225 

Bond University 

(07) 5595 1111

University Drive, Robina, Qld 4226 

 Griffith University

 (07) 5552 8800

Parklands Drive, Southport, Qld 4215 


Recent Blog Entries

Recent Photos

Upcoming Events

Recent Videos

Featured Products